The Non-Destructive Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research Centre is a fruit of collaboration between the Faculty of Pharmacy and Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM). It is set up in the year of 2006 following the approval of the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia as well as Lembaga Pengarah Universiti and Senate. It is located in the campus of UiTM at Puncak Alam, Selangor.
The research centre conducts postgraduate study, both at the MSc and Ph.D levels. Intra- and inter-universities, as well as, industry-university research collaborations are initiated, both locally and internationally, by the research centre.
The research centre is built on the concept of outcome-based research, incorporating academic, business and personal ethics with rising standard of goals and challenges.
The research direction of the centre mainly focuses on
- Design of transdermal drug delivery system or equivalent of which represents a mode of drug administration without the patients suffering in pain owing to the destruction of skin by injection needle.
- Design of pellets, microparticles and nanoparticles for small molecule drugs, protein drugs and nutrient delivery.
- Development of non-destructive techniques for characterization of transdermal drug delivery system and other pharmaceutical as well as engineering products.
- Development of novel pharmaceutical processors to create new dosage forms or solve long standing processing/formulation issues.
Postgraduate Study Opportunities
PhD and MSc research project vacancies are available. Candidates who are interested in the abovementioned research direction can contact Assoc. Prof. Dr Wong Tin Wui directly.
Industry Collaboration on Product Research, Development and Commercialization
The research centre welcomes industry projects on product research, development and commercialization. The project focuses primarily on scientific basis of product formulation and performance. The activity of projects spans from academic study to upscaling of process and production.
Particle Design Research Group
- Design of particulate drug delivery systems and molecular pharmaceutics in which the molecular details of pharmaceutical materials are elucidated and defined in relation to the need to predict their biological as wellphysicochemical properties essential in design of drug delivery systems.
- targeting for treatment of diabetes and colon cancer, via the invention and application of breakthrough pharmaceutical technology.
The research scope of Particle Design Research Group is mainly divided into four divisions:
- Drug delivery system design.
- Material sciences.
- Technology invention.
- Animal study.
Drug Delivery System Design
Research study directs at innovative design of multi-particulate drug delivery systems such as nanoparticles, microparticles and agglomerates. In addition, films for the application in transdermal and topical drug delivery are invented.
Research study directs at elucidation and analysis of structure-property relationships of pharmaceutical polymers and drugs.
Research study directs at the invention of novel pharmaceutical technology in relation to the need of drug targeting for treatment of medical illnesses such as diabetes and colon cancer.
Research study directs at animal study in examination of the functional properties of drug delivery systems, biological effects of polymers and drugs, as well as, drug targeting property of the intended dosage form.
Principal investigator: Assoc. Prof. Dr Wong Tin Wui
Co-investigator: Prof. Dr Mohd Nasir Taib
- Nor Khaizan Anuar
- Dr Anirbandeep Bose
- Idanawati Naharudin
- Dr Choo Chee Yan
- Dr Chan Chin Han
- Prof. Dr Law Chung Lim
Assoc. Prof. Dr Wong Tin Wui
Non-Destructive Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research Centre
Universiti Teknologi MARA
42300 Puncak Alam
Tel: 03-32584691; HP: 0193594691
Event link: www.pharmatechnol.com; www.globalstf.org
Academic link: http://pharmacy.uitm.edu.my/v1/assoc-prof-dr-wong-tin-wui